Sociological theory, post-colonial theory, feminist theory
Sociology of racism, feminist theory, critical sociology, cultural trauma theory
In my PhD project, I study anti-Muslim racism as manifested in acts of violence and discrimination aimed against people perceived as Muslims. In particular, I focus on ways in which these acts are explained and justified by those who perform them, as well as defined and treated by the society and the state, here represented by different institutional actors, such as the police, tribunals, the National Council for Crime Prevention (Brå), the Equality Ombudsman (DO), etc. I am interested both in discourses underlying Islamophobic practices and in the power-relations intertwined with them. My main material is police records and court files from the period 2006-2010 accessed through institutions that deal with hate-crime and discrimination.
Publicerade vetenskapliga arbeten:
• Kolankiewicz, Marta (2012) “Where Discourse Ends: The discursive and the non-discursive in Laclau and Mouffe’s discourse theory and in Fairclough’s critical discourse analysis” in: Pondering on Methods. A plethora of methodological concerns, Katarina Jacobsson and Katarina Sjöberg (eds), Lund: Lund University.
• Kolankiewicz, Marta (2011) “Experiences of Racism and Discrimination among Male Immigrants in Poland” in: (Post)transformational Migration. Inequalities, Welfare State and Horizontal Mobility, Marek Nowak and Michał Nowosielski (eds), Frankfurt am Main: Peter Lang.
• Kolankiewicz, Marta, Aleksandra Sabik, Magdalena Trojanek (2008) “’Bardzo im współczuję, ale…’ – wizerunek uchodźcy w dyskursie politycznym, medialnym I społecznym. Przypadek Kamisy Dżamaldin.”(“’I feel really sorry for them, but…’ – the image of the refugee in the political, media and social discourse. The case of Kamisa Dzamaldin.”) in: Uchodźcy: teoria i praktyka (Refugees: Theory and Practice), Izabela Czerniejewska and Izabella Main (eds), Poznań: Stowarzysznie “Jeden Świat”.
• Kolankiewicz, Marta (2008) “Between Science and Life: A Comparison of the Fieldwork Experience of Bronislaw Malinowski and Kirsten Hastrup”, The Applied Anthropologist, 28 (1).
• Kolankiewicz, Marta (2012) “Different Faces of Silence: Katyn and Jedwabne in Polish Collective Memory and the Politics of Cultural Trauma Theory” Center for Cultural Sociology, Yale University, 27 November, New Haven, US.
• Kolankiewicz, Marta (2012) ”’Stick tillbaka till ditt jävla islam eller vad du kommer ifrån, din jävla blatte!’ – Hate Speech and Construction of a Muslim Subject”, Sociologidagarna, 15-17 March, Stockholm, Sweden.
• Kolankiewicz, Marta (2011) “Researching Racist Violence - Methodological Aspects of the Study of Islamophobic Hate Crimes and Discrimination in Sweden”, ESA 10th Conference, 7-10 September, Geneva, Switzerland.
• Kolankiewicz, Marta (2010) “Representing Muslims at the Beginning of 21st Century in Europe – the Case of Sweden”, Saidism in the XXI century, 8-9 November, Kraków, Poland.
• Kolankiewicz, Marta (2010) “In whose name? Ayaan Hirsi Ali in the Shadow of Islamophobia and in the Context of the Contemporary Feminist Debates”, XVII ISA World Congress of Sociology, 11-17 July, Gothenburg, Sweden.
• Kolankiewicz, Marta (2009) “Experiences of Racism and Discrimination among Male Immigrants in Poland”, Inequalities and Migration, 21-22 September, Poznań, Poland.
Webbansvarig: IT-service S